Sunday, February 14, 2016

Valentine's Day 2016

Izzie making Valentine's Cards.

They made handprint cards for Grandma and Grandpa and a different kind of handprint card for Nanna and Popo.

For their friends they made stamped bookmarks. And then Maddie took one of the extra bookmarks and covered it in fingerprints. She told me since, "Grown-ups seem to like handprints so much, I figured that you'd really like a LOT of fingerprints!" So sweet!

In Latin we were learning the words for nose, eyes, ears and mouth. So we made some silly monsters and described their faces in Latin. Izzie found a sticker set that had fun facial features and Maddie elected to draw hers.

Maddie

Maddie

But the fun didn't stop with just faces, soon, wings, arms and tails were added!

Izzie devised a pretty amazing set of wings from construction paper.

This year I wanted to keep things simple so John and I went on a date to a gourmet hot dog place. It was pretty fun. No long waits, no hurried wait staff wanting to get us in and out for the next couple, etc. We had a fun lunch and then went to the bookstore to browse around. But somehow, chocolate got left out of the equation and that just won't do. So on a whim, I whipped up a chocolate cake. I forgot that I can't make cakes until I was almost done. I know that's weird, but seriously, I normally cannot make a  cake without it falling apart. Now this cake isn't going to win any beauty contests, that's for sure, but it held it's shape was moist and very chocolaty!

Izzie saw me making it in the kitchen earlier in the day and she asked what I was doing. I told her I was making a cake for dessert. She said, "No way, we never have dessert!" I said, "well, it IS valentine's day?" And she said, "Oh yeah! That'll make it special!"

My mom bought me a bowl of springtime for my table.

And I made these "Poor Man's Beef Wellington" aka, meatloaf in a puff pastry. They were okay, but I think I salted them twice.


No comments: