Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Science - liquid density

Posting out of order today, but wanted to show the science project we worked on today. In our science class we are studying the Earth's Oceans and Water. Today the lesson called for talking about how water is a liquid versus a gas or solid. I had seen a water density experiment on pinterest and thought it would fit our lesson really well! The picture I saw on the internet looked like this:

How cool is that? So, I did my best to replicate it using what we had. I decided to leave out the corn syrup since I don't have any and the milk because I want to leave the project out for a bit without it getting stinky. 

Our experiment came out pretty cool, but the layers did not get as distinct as this picture. 
 All of our supplies on a tray. I hated to use my expensive raw honey and maple syrup, but really it wasn't worth going out and buying cheaper versions of it. I didn't need much, so I sucked it up as a school expense!

 Our layers were honey, maple syrup, dish soap, water with pink dye, vegetable oil, rubbing alcohol and lamp oil. I was going to try to dye the lamp oil, but it didn't mix with my dye. The internet picture had the lamp oil on top, but ours switched places with the alcohol! So our lamp oil was more dense than theirs.

 We gathered up a raisin, tomato, grape, dry pasta, bead, bean, popcorn seed, screw and peanut to see how dense they were in comparison to the liquids.


 You can see the noodle, popcorn seed and tomato here. The top layers eventually did even out where you could see distinct lines but it took about an hour of it sitting still for that to happen.

 Izzie posing with her drawing. Which apparently she put her name on upside down, because the ping pong ball is on the bottom of the picture! Ha!



You can see the top layers better here. The bottom layers have a much more distinct line than the picture shows, I couldn't get a good photo. We did get out a flashlight to help shine in the liquid to help find where our objects dropped to. 

No comments: