Sunday, October 28, 2012

Projects Galore!

The girls and I are doing a Native American unit. We checked out a bunch of books from the library and read about Indian culture at a very basic level. They love hearing about "the olden days." I started the unit by reading them The Legend of the Bluebonnet by Tomie DePaola. Izzie did not like the story since the little girl had to give up her very prized possession. We also read Tomie DePaola's book The Indian Paintbrush, and both girls liked it a lot better. In that story, the little boy, paints the sunset. A few days later the girls brought me a drawing they did with a yellow sky. They told me it was the sunset. I love it when they are thinking about lessons we did days or weeks later.

Our next big thing was to talk about some of the people of the Indian Tribes. We talked about the Chief, the Shaman, the Warriors and Hunters, the Gatherers. I showed them a picture of an Indian woman with a Papoose. Then we got to work making Indian Chief Headdresses. I took them to the art store with me to pick out supplies, which made for some very interesting color choices as far as the headdresses went... but I have to admit, they do look pretty cool. We still have a few things left to do before I close out the Indian unit until next year when we will go in more depth!

 Maddie and Izzie giving me their best Chief looks.

Izzie's and Maddie's Headdresses.

 Homeschool means you get to study at the park. Izzie looking at Native American photos.

And reading one of the Tomie DePaolo book. 

 Next we talked about how the Indians would use vegetables and berries to dye their leather clothes and use those pigments to make paint to draw on their tepees. So we went to the grocery store and bought some spinach, kale, carrots, tumeric and some beets and made green, orange and red dyes. We dyed some white t-shirts. I didn't want the dye to get all over them so I bundled Maddie and Izzie up pretty good!

 Working hard.

 Here are the finished shirts before I washed them. Unfortunately almost all of the dye did wash out. Even though I soaked the shirts in vinegar before hand and hand washed them in cold water. They still had a fun time with the process. I may go ahead and buy some Rit dyes and let them "redye" them so the colors will actually stay.

Izzie and her Popo.

 This was the sunrise outside my window a few mornings ago. Love this photo!

 Making a Rapunzel wig for Halloween

 I won an iPod Nano from my awesome Chiropractor at Southwestern Chiropractic. Dr. Reif  and his staff totally rock!

 Izzie coloring. In the middle of the table is a big bucket of colors. Then they pick out the ones they are using and put them in their "sorting tray." This way I have less colors that roll on the carpet and get stepped on. Look at the shades of important colors that Izzie picked out!

 Maddie

 Maddie and Izzie working on a puzzle on the computer.

 While Daddy was out of town he read them a book on Skype. Pretty cool! (You can see them in the top right, and John is peeking in the corner to try and read the words and hold the book up to the camera.

 The other day I was working around the house and the girls were down to some serious arts and crafts, completely on their own initiative. They got out some Popsicle sticks and were cutting characters out of coloring books. They taped the characters down to the sticks to make puppets. They embellished with stickers. They were doing some serious work. They stayed at it for well over two hours and then cleaned it all up without a fit. Amazing. Izzie and Maddie.



 Izzie riding trikes at Nanna's.

 Hopscotch.

 Maddie


For you Mom!

No comments: