Monday, July 9, 2012

Pantry Reveal

I just realized I never posted my Fourth of July photos! I'll have to work on that this afternoon, but right now I'm excited to show off my pantry re-do! I started the project a couple of months ago and then took a long break. But the past several days I committed to finishing it and I'm very proud of the results. It's funny when all you want to do is stare at your pantry, but seriously, I'm so excited that is all I want to do!

Sadly I did not think to take any before pictures. Probably because I was horrified about the amount of dust bunnies at the bottom of my pantry. Under the bottom shelf I had stuffed a bunch of reuseable grocery bags, some boxes, and other pantry odds and ends. Basically it was not easy to sweep around all that stuff and over time, the little dust bunnies were taking over. Not to mention all the garlic paper peels that flittered to the bottom and the errant raisins that dropped when 4 year old hands raided the raisin bin!


But now, I've got a shiny, gleaming, Pinterest-worthy pantry. I love the bright yellow I picked. It makes the pantry look bright and sunny. I can't believe how much extra room I have right now. This pantry was stuffed to the brim. But I got rid of some things that I haven't used in the six years that I have lived in this house. I figure if I haven't used it in that long, I didn't really want it. The fondue pot almost didn't make the cut, since I have not used it (ever) but I want to use it. Maybe now that it isn't hidden, I'll think about it using it! The coffee pot is only there for when my in-laws visit, as we don't drink coffee. That cute bin next to the coffee pot was a diaper box in it's former life. I covered it in fabric (thanks Pinterest for the idea!) It is holding two waffle irons, a George Forman Grill and the ice cream maker. Makes that shelf look SO much tidier!

I'm not sure if I have all my jars in the "right" places yet. I tried organizing by type. The bottom shelf has my potatoes, garlic and onions. And next to that is the girls "snack" station. Nuts, dried fruit, dried vegetables.


This side of the pantry you don't see unless you are in the pantry. I put a basket for our loaves of bread, some cleaning supplies (vinegar, washing powder, borax. And right now I have a bunch of ziplock bags. Eventually I'd like to replace zip bags with re-usable bags, but they still are around right now. I found those paper plates at the back of the pantry along with a huge box from SAMS of plastic cutlery. I haven't bought paper or plastic plates in over a year, and I didn't know they were in the pantry. (It really needed cleaning, y'all!) I have some of my serving dishes and platters on this side along with my stand mixer and my Mema's old blender. She gave it to me when I was in college and it is still kickin'. It is on it's last legs though, I think it was from the 70's. I wish they still made products to last like they used to.

This wall houses some of my kitchen tools. This used to be behind the door of the pantry, but I took the door off. It was always getting in the way and it was ALWAYS open. I mean, if I have a party and the door is open then, why bother with having a door that annoys you? So I took it off. I'd like to get a cool grid from Container Store or Home Depot and organize this wall in a better fashion since it is more "open" to viewing now.

Well there you have it, my great Pantry Reveal. It was a lot of work, but so worth it. A few last notes: I switched over to glass containers in a slow process. Every few times I was at the store, if I saw a glass container on sale I'd pick one up. I also used a bunch of mason jars. It gives an eccletic look, but since they are all glass, I think it helps unify the storage. I did spend a day painting on chalkboard squares on a lot of my storage, but I don't recommend my method because it isn't dishwasher safe (found out the hard way.) I also just gathered up a bunch of baskets I had around the house (and even made one!) so the mix of baskets doesn't make it look super polished, but still tidy.

2 comments:

MandyE_TwinTriumphs said...

Ooh, that looks great!!!  I love your glass jars, and your baskets look so pretty, too!  I think it's great that you took the door off your pantry, too...mine stays open when I'm in the kitchen, too.

Your pantry is ginormous in comparison to mine!  Jealous!  ;)

Sunflowerpowerchick said...

I like it. Thanks for sharing! I hate my door too...EVERYONE around here leaves it open...but it seems NOTME is always to blame.

Hugs,
Raquel