Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Five in a Row - Madeline

Yesterday we started our week on Madeline. It's a story about a little French girl who gets her appendix taken out. Yesterday we studied symmetry. I was surprised out how quickly they picked up the concept. First we did a mini-worksheet that showed symmetrical and asymmetrical shapes. They got all of them right. Then we moved on to the fun part of the lesson! We shaved some old crayons using a pencil sharpener over wax paper. Then I folded their paper in half and placed a towel over the wax paper. I gently ironed it until the wax melted. When we opened the paper up, we had a (mostly) symmetrical design! I then placed a second sheet of wax paper on top and re-heated it with the iron to seal in the melted crayon.

Our second symmetry art was just to quickly brush their hands with paint, stamp it on paper, fold it in half, rub and open. If I can find my googlie-eyes, we'll turn these hand prints into monsters just for fun later in the week.

 Izzie's art

 Maddie's art.
Today we studied some of major organs and what they do in the body. Talking very, very basic here! I cut out some construction paper organs (please do not judge the abstractness of our organs!) and we talked about what each one does as we glued it to our body outlines.


 Izzie showing off her body. We placed the brain, heart, lungs, stomach (which I did white so it doesn't show well) small and large intestines and of course the appendix! At first Maddie didn't want to be in the photo, but then she didn't want to be left out. At the end of the lesson, Izzie's only question was "where does the poo-poo come out?" So I showed her in our body book the rectum was. By the way... if anyone told me I'd have a skeleton diagram hanging in my kitchen a few years ago I would have said NO WAY. Boy does life change! (I do only plan to keep our new friend hanging up for a few days though.... he can come visit again anther day.)

Maddie and Izzie

2 comments:

MandyE_TwinTriumphs said...

What a fantastic lesson!  I love the symmetry, and the body outline...so great!!!

Amanda Dittlinger said...

Thanks Mandy. Last night after they went to bed, I hung them up on the kitchen wall, next to Mr. Skeleton. It's right across their table for breakfast. They were so excited to see their bodies up on the wall. Funny!