Friday, April 27, 2012

Making an Apple Pie

How can April almost be over? We've been keeping so busy, this spring is flying by, that is for sure. We just finished "rowing" our third "Five in a Row" book. And I have to say, I'm loving this program. I think it's a great fit for our family. The manual for FIAR Volume 1 says it is for 4 and up and while I can see that, it is a stretch for 4. There are lots of lessons my girls get and some I'm modifying. This past week we've been reading How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World. It is a terrific book! The lessons in the manual were just sort of lack luster, but using them and searching other moms who use FIAR, I came up with some pretty good lessons.

Today, our last lesson, my mom came over and we baked a pie together. I made little mini-books for them to fill out as we cooked. For instance we needed 2/3rds cup butter for the crust. So they had to color 2/3rds of a drawing of a stick of butter on their sheet. Then we looked at a real stick of butter. We also used fractions when talking about cutting the apples. It was a good idea having the little book for them to work in as we were cooking. I think they enjoyed it and now have something to look back on.

Sometimes, I wonder if the lessons are hitting home, but later in the week they let me know. Wednesday night they went out to dinner with Nanna and Popo and over dinner they told Popo that cinnamon is harvested in Sri Lanka, which is a pear shaped island. I love that they are learning geography at such a young age! The other day in the bathtub they were splashing with some rubber duckies and I heard Maddie tell Izzie that they were swimming in the Yangtzee river (in China, which we studied with The Story of Ping 3 wks ago!) Izzie was playing with a little plastic frog and she told Maddie, "He can't go visit France! They eat frog legs in France, he better visit Italy where they eat Pasta." It's so cool hearing them play out the things they are learning.

I have a bunch of photos that I promise to put up soon. I was working on this blog post and designing a special birthday invitation when my computer completely crashed tonight. I'm typing this from the tablet my father in law gave me a few weeks ago. John is working on my computer.



1 comment:

MandyE_TwinTriumphs said...

I love hearing about all the great things you're exploring with your girls!  And how awesome it is to see them incorporating what they're learning into their play.  :)

I bought that Apple Pie book for my girls a few months ago, but I haven't given it to them yet.  I just loved the story!