Monday, February 13, 2012

Activities around the house

 Maddie holding the dough hook and Izzie looking over her shoulder.

Today was a rainy dreary day so I had to come up with lots of fun stuff for the girls to do. We spent the morning curled up on the couch watching Princess and the Frog together. It was a cute movie, although the girls were disappointed that the Princess was a frog for most of the movie. They kept asking when she'd be a princess again.

After lunch, I decided to have them help me make a loaf of bread. I used to make bread about once or twice a week, but I've gotten out of the habit of it. They did a great job of measuring and pouring. When the honey drizzled on the cabinet they were really great about helping lick up that mess!

Then this afternoon I made the girls blank mini-books, to illustrate and tell me a story to write in them. These little books are super easy to make, I came across a homeschool blog that had the tutorial on how to fold them out of one sheet of paper. I see many more of these little books in our future! They did these right before dinner and I could tell that they were distracted by the thought of dinner. Izzie's story wasn't as strong as she usually tells and Maddie got a bit lazy with the illustrations. I think we'll do this activity again when they aren't so hungry!

Here is Izzie's book:





And here is Maddie's book:
 (Winnie the Pooh is upside down because we read the book where he discovers gravity. In that book, he falls out of a tree because of gravity, so he's falling out of a tree here too.)


 (As far as I could tell, this is the knot hole of the tree.)


No comments: