Friday, September 16, 2011

Painted Bathtub


I made the girls some bathtub paint today and let them play in my bathtub. This is so much fun! Two nights ago Maddie got bitten up by mosquito and it's been pretty miserable. We've tried various itch creams and even gave her some benadryl at night time. She still ended up waking up about 10 times during the night. This morning she was still itchy, so we thought a long bath might help. I also put some lavender essential oil in the tub along with a sock full of oatmeal. You squeeze the raw oats and the starch that squeezes out is supposed to help soothe itchy skin for eczema. I figured maybe it'd help Maddie out some. Not sure if it was the paint as a distraction or the oatmeal/essential oils, but the bath did help for a little while.

After the bath, she was feeling better and it was close to lunch so we sweet talked John into going to Brooklyn's Pizza with us. It was a fun outing and delicious one too! The girls still were in a painting mood when we got home so I broke out the watercolors for them to play with. That entertained them for a full hour until naptime!

Naptime was a bit crazy for me, since I decided to make a quick run to the grocery store. It's about 15 minutes from the house. I got there and realized I didn't have my wallet. That meant back home and back to the store again. Hopefully I learned my lesson! After our pizza lunch, no one was super hungry for dinner tonight though, so I just made the girls a light dinner and now they are out playing outside again.

This time I equipped them with some homemade bug spray that I got off my new favorite website, Crunchy Betty. It's really simple to make: 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/8 cup rubbing alcohol, 1/8 filtered water, 25 drops of essential citronella oil, 25 drops of essential eucalyptus oil and 50 drops of essential peppermint oil. Mix together and spray away. It smells nice and has no icky chemicals.

Oh, and as for the bathtub paint, it's simple to make too! A couple of tbsp of cornstarch for each color and a few drops of food coloring. Mix with just enough water to form a loose paste. It wipes right up. This would also be awesome for sidewalk paint, which I plan to use with the kids soon!

No comments: