Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Going Green in the Dittlinger House

I'm on a new kick lately. I've been browsing Eco-Friendly blogs lately and I'm totally inspired to get a bit more green around here. I'm reading one blog called, The Zero Waste Home, where the writer, Bea keeps her house pretty much trash free. (Seriously. Think about that. She has no trashcans in her house and produces virtually NO trash.) While I'm not interested right now (I've learned NEVER say NEVER) in going that far, she has provided me with a ton of inspiration lately.

It all started a couple months ago in the Relationship Seminar I'm taking with Landmark Education. We did an exercise that had us creating who we want to be in life. I created the possibility of being HAPPY and CONFIDENT. Next step? Go out and live life that way. It's harder than it sounds and so simple all in one. I realized that a lot of what I was unhappy about in my life, I was creating! What a revelation. Without conscious effort, my house has started to become decluttered and airy. I love open space and lack of clutter, it truly does make me happy. I thought it was all the kids toys, but really in truly, things have piled up over the years, a few knick knacks here, a couple of candles there and all of a sudden it was TOO much! You start to not even see the items anymore, but they cause visual stress. I have gone through with trashbags and started tossing like a mad woman. I've made some recycle piles, donate piles and sale piles. I'm attacking the house one drawer/closet/room at a time. I'm not in a rush, I'm going at my own pace. It is SO liberating. I keep finding myself sitting in the chair in my bedroom and just enjoying the calm that the unclutteredness brings to me. I've found I suddenly have more time for exercising, cooking and crafting.

Somewhere during all of this cleaning is when I came upon Bea's website (Zero Waste) and several like hers. With this zen-like experience I've had with decluttering (yeah, the little I know about "zen" haha) along with the journey I've had this past year with REAL food, I'm finding myself wanting to get even further into natural things. I've been using vinegar water to clean my kitchen for a couple of months now, and I'm ready to make my first batch of homemade laundry detergent. I've also joined the no 'poo crusade to stop using store bought shampoo and conditioners. (I use baking soda and apple cider vinegar mixed with lavender oil.) I'm working on substituting paper towels with cloths, I'm not going to buy any more paper plates, I'm looking into patterns to make homemade sandwich and snack bags and I've even gone over the deep end. I've introduced "family cloth" into our home. It sounds so warm and fuzzy... yeah, no. Family Cloth, is the term crunchy hippie people use for cloth toilet paper. Wait! Don't leave! It's really not that bad! It's actually kind of cool. I'll still keep toilet paper around for guests and, well, my dear sweet husband John who thinks I am crazy with this! It's all an adventure, none of it is a commitment (so far I haven't spent any money, I've been upcycling everything) and it doesn't have to all be done at once.

Anyway, that's what I've been up to lately!

1 comment:

Karen Carnes said...

I'm glad you wrote this entry in the blog that you turn into Izzie and Maddie's baby book.  That way one of these days they can look back and debate exactly when you went off the deep end.  

-Nanna