Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Fort Worth Zoo

Yesterday was a big day for Maddie, Izzie and I. We all went to the zoo by ourselves. It was a sort of last minute trip. We were sitting around the dinner table and Maddie brought up the fact that when I was out of town (my Austin TMOM trip) that Daddy was going to take them to the zoo but he couldn't because of the weather. She figured that while Daddy was out of town that I should take them to the zoo instead. Well John's trip ended up getting canceled so I asked them if we should wait and go to the zoo with Daddy on the weekend. Maddie said, "No, Daddy needs to go to work so he can get us some money. We'll go to the zoo without him." Hum...

Well I decided, why not. It's about an hour and half drive from my house, but the girls are getting pretty good at long car trips. I was sort of worried I'd run out of steam pushing the stroller all by myself, but my energy level stayed pretty high all day. We did take a few rests here and there, but I was pretty impressed with the ground we covered. Especially since it took me a bit to get my bearings and figure out the map correctly. I kept looking for the Reptile House, but it wasn't on the map. Which I thought was strange since I was IN the Reptile House. My mistake, the reptile house at the Fort Worth Zoo is called the MOLA (Museum of Living Art.) Right, totally makes sense, no way would I get lost with that title. (I really, really, really love the FW Zoo, but that was a pretty dumb move in my opinion.)

Anyway, we crisscrossed a bit because the girls were asking for specific animals and well, because I got a bit lost, but I just chalked it up to more exercise. We got to see ALOT of animals. The pink flamingos cracked me up this time at the zoo. The pink flamingos have always had a soft spot in my heart because when I was the girls age they were my favorite exhibit at the zoo because they were a PINK animal and I was crazy about anything pink. The flamingos yesterday were in a mood or something. They were squawking and flapping their wings like crazy. Then one came right up to the fence and looked like he was seriously thinking about trying to give us a kiss or something! Crazy birds!

The Fort Worth Zoo has these really cool animatronic dinosaurs up right now. I don't know it is a permanent exhibit or just a temporary one, but they were pretty impressive. They were life size, they moved and they made noises. They were tucked in and around the zoo and every corner had another one. At first the girls were a bit scared of them, but I explained that they were robots and they weren't real. I took time to try to explain the term "extinct" as much as I could to a three year old. Both girls said they loved the scary robot dinosaurs at the end of the day. But at each one of the dinosaurs (and of the brass statues of animals around the zoo) they had to ask if they were real or just pretend.

Another high light was when the gorilla came RIGHT up to the glass. We were literally inches away from him separated only by a thick sheet of glass. I was really excited and tried to get a photo of the girls looking at me, with him behind them. Izzie turned her back to him and then looks up at me and says with a very worried tone, "This is pretty strong glass, right momma?" I reassured her that it really was. They were a bit disappointed they didn't get to pet a giraffe or a bear, but they were excited to pet the calf and chickens. We somehow missed the kangaroos but the penguins were fun to watch. Oh, and of course the meerkats. I don't know what it is about those little creatures but I just love watching them scurry about. One of them looked like he was talking to us.

I think one of their favorite parts was getting to feed the parakeets seeds on a stick. When we got to that exhibit we were the only ones in the place. It was actually sort of magical. Both girls faces just lit up when a little bird would come over and eat the seeds they were holding up. At the end of the day, I let the girls pick out a stuffed animal out of the souvenir shop. Somehow they found matching pink and purple monkeys, so that is of course what they chose. As I was hugging the girls good night, after a very long day, Maddie looks up at me and says, "Mommy, I'm sad." I asked her why and she told me she was sad that the zoo was all over. Izzie piped up and told her not to worry, we could go back again tomorrow!

 Izzie and Maddie

 Maddie and Izzie

 Maddie and Izzie

 Maddie and Izzie

 Maddie and Izzie (they really had to make sure this guy was pretend before they'd get on him!)

 One of the animatronic dinosaurs. Maddie and izzie.

 Izzie and Maddie.

 Maddie and Izzie.

 Maddie and Izzie.

 "Are you sure this is strong glass?" Izzie asked! (Maddie, Izzie)

 Izzie and Maddie looking at the cheetah.

 Izzie and Maddie pretending to take a nap in the stroller.

 Izzie's Grizzly Bear.

I think Maddie might have been trying to climb in with the lion. They were very disapointed that they didn't roar. But they were excited to see both a boy lion and a girl lion.

 Izzie

 Maddie and Izzie

 Izzie

 Maddie

 Izzie and Maddie doing a penguin puzzle

 Maddie and Izzie petting a chicken.

Ice cream was a great treat at the end of the hot fun day! (Izzie, Maddie)

No comments: