Thursday, January 20, 2011

New Bedtime Routine

Yesterday we started a new bedtime routine. Maddie and Izzie's bedtime has been 7 o'clock since they were four months old. Except for a few holidays sprinkled here and there it has been lights out at seven. Well lately they aren't falling asleep until 8:30 or later. Which for the most part is okay, but now that they are three, pushing their lights out to 7:30 seems reasonable. Except that I like them going to bed at 7, that gives John and I an evening time to spend together. So I came up with a brilliant plan.... I hope. Like I said, this is only day two, so we shall see how it goes.

We put them in their room at seven with the lights on and a selection of books.to read. We left the door open and told them they have to stay in their rooms for quiet time. Then ideally at 7:30 we'd come in and sing their night night song and have them go to bed, knowing they weren't going to fall asleep right at 7:30, but we are thinking maybe the extra 30 minutes of reading time would help with the sleeping part. Tonight they made it about 15 minutes with the light on, until I heard them jumping off the couch. I told them they lost their privilege and it was bedtime and we'd try again tomorrow. We'll shall see....

No comments: