Sunday, January 23, 2011

Knitting and Apples

 Izzie eating an entire apple.

 Maddie eating an apple.

Maddie and Izzie.

A few days ago, I came across the most adorable stuffed animals on the internet that were knitted. I've always wanted to learn to knit for the sake of learning a new skill. I'm a dabbler in lots of arts and crafts never really mastering any of them. But it keeps me interested in new things. The problem with knitting for me has always been that I've never really loved what knitted and crocheted items look like. I mean, there are some cute projects out there but nothing that just got me jazzed enough to want to pick up some needles and learn to knit. I know by now you are all probably wondering what the stuffed animlas looked like that got me so excited. I just stumbled upon this website and I fell in love with the little elephant and the little bunny. The thing about me though is that even if I could, I wouldn't want to buy them. I immediately wanted to MAKE them.

So I went out yesterday with the girls in tow and bought a "learn to knit" book a set of knitting needles and two spools of yarn. (Skeins of yarn? Not sure the technical terms yet!) I know that I'm a very, very long way off from replicating those cute stuffies, but at least I have a goal for my knitting. Right now I'm making "A" placemat. It was a dumb project for me to start with because there is NO way I'll want to make four of these things. So it'll probably end up being a baby blanket for the girls dolls... but that means I probably will have to make at least two. Anyway, kitting is my interest du jour.

Last night probably about 15 minutes before dinner, the girls found two huge apples sitting on the counter. Dinner was simmering on the stove and I was in the other room. I heard a bunch of giggles coming from the kitchen and went to investigate. Both girls look up at me and hold up these two huge apples. They looked at me like they had struck gold. They were so excited to eat a BIG HUGE apple. They ended up eating about half of it over the next 45 minutes. And they didn't eat much of the dinner I cooked. They were too focused on those apples!

No comments: