Sunday, June 6, 2010

Memories

Today was a day I probably won’t ever forget. It was supposed to start at 5:30 am when our alarm was set to go off, but I guess the excitement caused me to wake up an hour earlier than that. I willed myself to stay in bed for two reasons. One, I knew I needed the rest as it was going to be a long day, and second, I didn’t want to disturb the rest of the house that was sleeping peacefully. Finally, the alarm buzzed at 5:30 and I excitedly rolled over to John and said, “Are you ready to go on a BIG LONG Trip?” That is the phrase that we’ve been tossing around with the girls this past week or so. After getting ready and doing the very last second packing, John and I tiptoed in the girls room and woke them up from a deep slumber. Something that I don’t think we’ve ever done before, so we were aprehensive about how they would respond. Luckily they were excited about the trip and understood what was going on, so they were happy.
At 6:30 we met up with the rest of the family. This included: Jackie, Tom, Grandma, Julie, Chris, Sammy, Sabrina, Dana, Cody, Lucy, John, Maddie, Izzie and myself. We were in 4 vehicles. The first leg of the trip flew by and the girls were so great! Our first stop was at a McDonalds where the kids got to run around on the playground while eating a few bites of breakfast here and there. Back in the car for leg two of the trip. The girls were still great. We watched a couple of shows, sang songs and played with some toys. After about 1.5 hours we stopped at another McDonalds but this go around we actually played in a grassy field that had an old train car in it. Maddie and Izzie spent the time collecting as many flowers as they could. Sabrina and Sammy were climbing on the train. After the short stop to stretch we were back in the car until lunchtime.
At lunch we stopped at a really big truck stop somewhere still in Oklahoma. We had a great picnic lunch, there was an awesome breeze and an even better playground. The kids all loved sliding and climbing. After this break all the adults were hoping the kids would take a nap. Izzie and Maddie each took about a 20 minute nap and they woke up crying. But we easily distracted them and life was good again. After a 2.5 hour drive we stopped at yet another McDonalds to utilize the playarea. Maddie was so proud of herself when she figured out how to climb the tunnels in the play area! Izzie came out the slide saying, “I did it!” It was so cute. Sabrina was a natural, even though she is technically 3.5 months younger than Maddie and Izzie it rarely shows these days and she was awesome showing them how to climb the tubes and tunnels of the playarea.
After that stop we drove until we stopped for dinner at Applebees. The girls were just starting to get a bit fussy as we approached Applebees but they were fine once we got in the restaurant. Before we went in, Izzie said, “No running in restaurant, right?” I thought that was so precious! They are such good girls, most of the time! We all filled up our tummies and then we had one last stretch to get to our hotel. I missunderstood and thought we were 15 minutes away, but I think it was closer to an hour. The sock puppets made an apperance at this point and I put on a bit of a show from the front seat. Maddie and Izzie told Prince Wilbur Sock Puppet, all about their entire day. Just as the hotel came into view, Izzie almost lost it. She was tired of being in the seat.

Luckily we were only one red light away and we were able to get them up the stairs into the room and into swimsuits as fast as possible. Next, we hit the pool and they had a blast swimming off some of the stored up energy from the trip. Now they are snuggled in their Kidco Peapod tents and will hopefully be snoozing… any minute now. I know that as soon as my head hits the pillow, I’ll be seeing Z’s.
On one last note, Happy 40th anniversary to Mom and Dad. I hope your anniversary with the family was a terrific one!

No comments: