Saturday, May 22, 2010

Seven Stitches


Advice has been given to me about making sure to spend one-on-one time with each twin. This comes directly from adult twins. Their arguments are convincing and I really do see the benefits. The getting there, has been difficult. It's easier to do in small quantities around the house. Like taking Izzie up for a bath while Maddie stayed downstairs with Daddy. Or one girl watching a show with Daddy while the other reads a book with me. The leaving the house with one parent, so far, not going so well. It's been almost a year since we've even attempted it.

Well Maddie has been in a super I-want-Momma/Anti Daddy mode lately. So today John was going to take Maddie to get ice cream and I was going to spend some time with Izzie. Then tomorrow, we were going to switch. John left the house with Maddie and Izzie had a super duper meltdown. She was devastated that she didn't get to go get ice cream. And yes, we did tell her that Maddie was going to get ice cream. It wasn't supposed to be a secret, we wanted Maddie to be excited to spend time with Daddy. I tried to explain to Izzie that she was going to get to go tomorrow and that her and Momma got to spend some time together. I asked her if she wanted to play in my art room, help me make bread or play wit a new toy. Everything was a no-no-no! I decided to try and open the new toy to get her distracted. I got a sharp knife out to open the hard plastic shell and Izzie lunged at me saying, "NO Don't want toy!" And she grabbed the knife before I could stop her. She ended up cutting the pad of her right-middle finger pretty deep. I called John who had only been gone about 2 minutes for him to come home. I could tell the cut was really deep and we were having trouble getting it to stop bleeding. We decided to go to Acute Kids.

I sat in back with the girls so Izzie wouldn't move her hand and John drove us there as fast as we safely could get there. John stayed in the waiting room with Maddie and I went back with Izzie. The doctor took one look at it and said she had to get stitches. That was a very hard thing to have to go through with Izzie. We bundled her up in a blanket so that her left arm was restricted. Then the doctor gave her a numbing shot around the cut. Even when there wasn't any more pain, Izzie was still scared so she cried a bunch. I sang several soothing songs and wiped her face down with a wet wash cloth. She was able to drink some water from her sippy cup and she finally calmed down. The doctor gave her seven stitches and we have to go back in 7-10 days to get them removed.

John said Maddie heard sissy crying from the waiting room and she told him that the doctor was hurting her sissy. John reassured Maddie that the doctor was fixing her boo-boo. After it was all over we ended up going through a drive thru for dinner and got the girls a chocolate shake to split. We figured after all that they should get some type of ice cream!

Pictures below, slightly graphic...





Seven Stitches

After we unwrapped her from her papoose. Now she has a big oversized pink wrapping all around her finger.

8 comments:

Kate said...

Oh no the poor little thing (and poor you - it must have been a bit scary for you too).

Amy said...

Ouch! Poor sweet girl.

Grandma said...

Grandpa and Grandma feel so bad for Izzie...maybe a "bravery Prize" will help. We know Maddie is being brave for her sister, too. Love to our little soldier.

Julie said...

Poor baby! We're sending virtual hugs. For Izzie & her parents. The girls may have needed ice cream (definitely), but her folks deserve something stronger!

Sammy sliced his hand open with a bread knife a couple of years ago. It didn't require an emergency trip (although we debated it for a minute, we ultimately decided it was fairly superficial), it was super scary. So sorry y'all had to go through this!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jules said...

Oh I am so sorry! You two really kept calm, I am impressed. That would have freaked me out. After that *everyone probably needed hugs and ice cream, you and John especially. I am sorry about your comment issues. You and your twins are darlings.

Anne E said...

Poor baby! That must have been a little scary for her. I wonder if Maddie couldn't sense some of Izzie's fear at the doctor too. You know, not just hearing it. I understand that twins have a strong sense of how their twin is feeling. They are such sweet girls. Hugs for all! Especially you. I know this was hard on you too.

Amy said...

Oh, poor thing! I'm impressed with how well you handled it though. I think I would have freaked.