Friday, May 7, 2010

Going to Mema and Pepaw's house

Nanna, Maddie and Pepaw

Anyone who knows me, knows I can't wait to give a gift. This is what the girls and I worked on for Mema. They painted a picture and I printed out photos of them.

Mema, Maddie and Izzie looking at their new swimsuits I bought them for the summer. They spent the rest of the evening dancing in their tutu swimsuits.

Izzie and Maddie sitting in the same spot that I sat in at their age sitting next to my cousin, Lisa. We used to dress up alike and pretend we were twins when we were little kids.

Izzie, Mema and Maddie playing in the bedroom.

This morning when we woke up, the girls were excited because they knew they were going to get to go to Mema and Pepaw's house today! Packing up was hard because I didn't do hardly any of it the night before. After a few temper tantrums, lost keys and hectic running around, the three of us and half of our house made it out to the van to pick up Nanna at her house. Daddy didn't get to come with us, because we are staying until Tuesday and he didn't want to take off work for that long.

The trip wasn't too bad, but it wasn't the easiest either. Makes me nervous for the two DAY drive we have planned for our trip to Wisconsin in exactly one month. One issue was we waited too long for lunch and Maddie got too hungry. So by the time we pulled over at a Subway, she was in meltdown mode. After I finally got a few bites in her mouth, she was happy and giggling. We ate lunch and were back on the road. The last 45 minutes were a bit rough but we played a simplistic version of I Spy and that helped pass some of the time. As we got close to Mema's house we did something that I did when I was a kid. Shouting at the top of our lungs, my sis and I used to scream, "MEMA, PEPAW WE'RE HERE!!" and we's shout "MEMA, WHERE ARE YOU?" As kids we thought she could hear us if we yelled loud enough. Maddie and Izzie were in stitches laughing as Nanna and I were screaming out like that. It really built up the anticipation though and when we turned in the driveway everyone started clapping and we were in happy moods.

The next couple of hours were just us playing, dancing and being silly with Mema and Pepaw. Izzie showed Mema a "Finding Nemo" book and Mema told her it was Elmo. Izzie told her, "No, not Elmo." Mema told her it WAS Elmo. Izzie was pretty confused by this point, but not wanting to call Mema a liar, she asked Mema if she was "pretending?" I went in there to figure out what was going on and I had to tell Mema that in fact, Izzie was correct and that the book was about Nemo the fish. Don't try to think you are smarter than a two year old when it comes to beloved characters!

Showering was a not fun tonight. They really needed a good cleaning and Mema has no bathtubs in this house anymore. We could not convince the girls to "splash" in the 2 inches of water that Mema had filled the bottom of the shower with. We ended up washing the girls in the sink one body part at a time. Then I had to give the girls a demo of a shower. It was pretty funny showing the girls how Momma washes her hair. At home, I always shower after they are in bed and so they've never really been exposed to a shower at all. Hopefully tomorrow will go better!

Now they are tucked away in their beds and Pepaw is watching tv. Mom and Mema are in the other room visiting and I'm about to join them!

No comments: