Friday, April 30, 2010

Potty Training

 Maddie

Izzie

We are attempting potty training today. We started at 10:30 when we got back from Target where Maddie picked out Elmo panties and Izzie picked out solid pink, purple and teal panties. That was one of those parenting dilemmas. She's been talking about Fancy Nancy panties for a couple of weeks now, but today in the store she wanted the plain panties. I asked her if she was sure, and she said she was. I hope she doesn't change her mind later. Not to mention what is going to happen when she puts on purple panties, will Maddie get mad? They are VERY clear that pink is Izzie's and purple is Maddie's. We'll just roll with the punches and see how it goes.

Well we got home from Target and I put them in the plain, boring, white training panties. That was the first fit. Maddie wanted her Elmo panties. I told her as soon as she used the potty she could wear the Elmo panties, until then she had to wear the plain white panties. Then I put Elmo's Potty Time video on for the girls. We paused it about half way through to visit the potty. Nothing. Then about five minutes later, Izzie had her first accident. She exclaimed very loudly, "OH No! Panties are wet!" We got her cleaned up and in a fresh pair of training panties. So far that has been the only accident and we are two hours into the gig, but we've yet to get anything in a potty. I'm still not 100% sure they are ready to potty train. They talk about it all the time, they want to wear panties, they love sitting on their potties, they aren't scared of the toilet flushing, but they have yet to actually pee (or poo) in a potty yet. (Well, they've each had one fluke where they weren't sure what was going on.) Some friends told me that until they have enough accidents that they connect the feeling with the wet, that they may not start using the potty.

My other purchase was a pack of plain white t-shirts. I figure we may be running around the house in t-shirts and panties this weekend. I'm sure I'll keep you posted. Oh and I didn't wake up this morning thinking today was they day that I'd potty train. Like most things in my life, I just jump in with both feet and try to figure it out as I go!

1 comment:

Seren Dippity said...

I can just "hear" the enthusiasm in your writing. ;-)
Remember - If momma isn't ready, they aren't going to be ready.
Generate some excitement! Whoop!