Sunday, April 18, 2010

More on Real Food

This has been a weekend that I'm glad to put behind us. It wasn't horrible, just not great. I'm hoping tomorrow morning everyone in the family will wake up happy and healthy. John woke up yesterday with flu-like symptoms. The girls still continue to cough almost every single night. The doctor says it's due to drainage from allergies, but whatever it is, it is driving everyone crazy. No one is getting good sleep and I just feel bad for them. It's mostly Izzie, Maddie has only coughed through the night a handful of times. We keep trying different things: different allergy meds, inclining them on a stack of pillows, a humidifier, vicks vapor rub, etc. Tonight we put a fan in their room. I think the room is getting too stuffy and makes them overheated. Just a new theory, I'm willing to try almost anything at this point. Well except for removing dairy and gluten from their diets. That is a new theory that some doctors are testing out. I'm 100% on the "real" food movement. I want to get processed food out of our lives. But dairy and gluten? Come ON.

It was explained really well by a nutritionist that came and visited us at our last PAMOM meeting and I really get his point. The milk we drink today is NOT real milk. When milk is pasteurized, it kills the good bacteria with the bad bacteria and we are left drinking a liquid that irritates our insides. The Food Renegade says it all much better right HERE. As for glutens, there are many studies talking about them but I don't really get it yet. As far as I can tell, we've been eating so much white (processed) wheat that our bodies are now allergic to it. If we'd been eating whole grains all along we'd be okay. Well, not really sure why I'm rambling on about all of this. Basically it's my new hobby, my new interest. I want to eat good healthy food that tastes good. I'm learning to not crave sugar and crave fruits and vegetables instead. I want my children to be healthy and I want to be healthier too. The fact that my kids generation is predicted to have a shorter life span due to processed foods really terrifies me.

I've been having a lot of fun cooking with my girls. Even though none of us were feeling that great I thought that making some homemade ice cream would be fun and change the mood. Maddie and Izzie did enjoy helping me measure, pour and stir. They liked watching the milk get thick and cold and turn into ice cream. Then we put it in the freezer and I told them they could have the ice cream for snack today after they slept during naptime. They went RIGHT down at naptime. That hasn't happened in a long time. About an hour and half into nap (where the entire family was napping all at once, we really don't feel good!) Maddie woke up withering around and saying her tummy hurt badly. I picked her up and brought her to my room to lay down with me. I was cuddling her and trying to soothe her when she fell asleep again. She slept for about 30 minutes more but woke up with more tummy problems. When she said she didn't want her ice cream, I knew she wasn't feeling well!! Izzie woke up after sleeping THREE hours, and the first thing out of her mouth was, "I slept, now ice cream!" Gotta love 'em!!

This evening was mostly spent cuddling on the couch reading books. I made a light supper of whole grain noodles and tomato sauce. Izzie devoured her supper, Maddie only picked at a couple noodles. Now they are tucked in bed, fast asleep and I hope that tonight is a good night.

Izzie eating her homemade cinnamon walnut ice cream.

Maddie laying on Daddy's lap, not feeling well.

Yesterday, when we had a bit more energy we went outside to play with the new bubble machine I bought. Maddie LOVES bubbles!!

Maddie watching the bubbles drift away, the machine makes bubbles inside bubbles which totally fascinated her (and me!)

No comments: