Sunday, April 25, 2010

Juice

Some friends and family have wondered why I don't let my girls have juice. Maddie and Izzie are 28 months old and have only ever had water and milk to drink. They've never in their 2+ years had juice. There is no need in anyone's diet for juice. Juice is calories with no filling fiber. I can't say it any better than this article HERE. And THIS website has a table that shows that juice and soda have almost the same amount of sugar and even more calories than soda. Some people mix a bit of juice with water to dilute it. Okay, so fine, then you get half the amount of sugar than if you drank the same amount of liquid not diluted. Maddie and Izzie don't have any problems drinking water and milk. Why would I want to change that? Studies show that kids who drink juice will drink more soda when they are older than kids that never (or rarely) drink juice. The more sugar in your diet ("natural" or chemical) the more sugar you crave.

Am I being a hypocrite? I drink soda. The more I learn about processed foods versus REAL food, the more I'm changing my diet. I don't think I am a hypocrite. I've been saying for over a year now that "If I only ate what I fed my children, I'd be SO healthy!" Well... I'm making that change. I don't want my girls to only be healthy. I want them to be healthy AND have a healthy mother (and father!!) I was drinking up to 4 sodas a day a few months ago. Now I'm down to 4 sodas a week. I'm working on eliminating them completely from my diet. They just cost money (water is practically free.) And they are empty calories. As for diet soda.... yeah, no calories, I get that. Also, a diet soda has NO nutrition and we are all just chugging one big fat chemical.

Sure there is room in life for treats. But honestly, if you are going to have a treat, would you prefer a small cookie or a glass of orange juice? You may argue that the juice has more nutrients than the cookie. And you might be right. Although a cookie made with REAL eggs, nuts, oats, milk and a healthy oil such as coconut oil, it could possibly be debated. That isn't my point. Most people don't treat juice as a treat for their kids. They see it as a right. Something to give them with breakfast, lunch and dinner. Although they'd never give them that many cookies.

I love my family and friends and they are all entitled to their opinions just as I am entitled to mine. I hate it when someone tells me what to eat or that I'm eating something that is unhealthy. If my friends and family want to drink juice (and I drink it on an occasion too!) then that is their right and their choice. And let's keep in mind, I am talking about JUICE, it's not like it is the end of the world!

(PS... I have a ton of great photos of my neice's Lucy's first birthday party that we attended yesterday. I can't wait to show them to you, Lucy was so precious!! And we even caught a photo of Maddie giving Lucy a bottle!! But, I have to get some work done on my PAMOM newsletter tonight, so the photos and story of Lucy's first will have to wait a bit!)

2 comments:

Amy said...

My son didn't have anything but water and milk till he was just older than 2. The first time he had juice his grandma gave it to him. We haven't looked back. Both grandmas now sneak him soda and he drinks 1 or 2 small glasses of juice a day. Or his new thing, seltzer water. It drives me crazy cause it used to be so easy, milk at meals and a water sippy the rest of the time. If only I could go back to that. I guess I'm the parent so I should be able to. Easier said than done now that he knows what he might be missing.

Anyhow....I applaud you! We went to a birthday party for a 3 year old this spring and all the kids were served sprite. They had water for the adults and sprite for the kids. SERIOUSLY????

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Our girls are almost 16 months old, and I have started giving them a little juice (probably 1 ounce to 3 ounces of water) to TRY to entice them to FINALLY use a sippy cup. At long last it seems to be working, just over the past couple of days. Once I get the sippy cup sold in, I plan to return to milk and water. I agree there's no need for juices.

I ate a pretty perfect diet the entire time we were trying to conceive, as well as when I was pregnant. After I stopped nursing, I began to allow myself one diet soda in the afternoon as a special treat. I keep thinking at some point I'm going to have to drop the habit - or at least hide it in some way! - as I want to set a good example for my girlies. :) And being healthy so I can stick around and see my great, great grandchildren is also great motivation.