Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Culinary Milestone


Maddie and Izzie eating French Toast for the first time.


My sweetie.

Today was library day. The girls actually told Ms. Dea that they loved her. Then again, they are really into the L word and they are saying they love everyone and everything. Storytime was a bit confusing because the letter of the week was E for shEEp. Yeah, explain THAT to a 2 year old. They spent the rest of the day saying "E" is for Sheep. The craft was fun though. They got to glue cotton balls on a little cut out sheep. They even got to pick a pink and purple sheep out. When we got home Maddie and Izzie made sure we hung their sheep up on the wall to show Daddy when he got home from work.

Tonight for dinner I decided I wanted to make Mema's French Toast using the homemade bread I made yesterday. My poor deprived children have yet to eat this wonderful dish from my childhood. Of course mine is NEVER as good as Mema's. I'm not sure what she does when I'm not looking because I can't replicate her french toast for the life of me. She gets it all crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside. It's perfection. The first time I ordered french toast at a restaurant I was so confused with what they put in front of me. It was covered in powdered sugar and maple syrup and the bread itself was eggy and just not good. Mema's version has so much sugar in the batter that you don't need any toppings. It's not dried out where it needs maple sugar. It's just delicious.

No comments: