Sunday, January 17, 2010

Our second visit to Acute Kids


Maddie and Izzie curled up on the couch today watching a show after getting back from the doctor.


Izzie and Maddie at their new table I bought at IKEA. It's the Norbo table and it folds flat to the wall when not in use.


A few days ago I took the girls shoe shopping and out to eat by myself. They wanted to wear their hats and mittens even though it wasn't that cold out. I thought they looked so cute!


Today started off pretty good. Well actually very good. John let me sleep in and he got the girls up and gave them breakfast. I was laying there in bed reading, not really sleeping, but reading in the morning is a super luxury! I was waiting for him to ask me what to give them for breakfast. Not that he isn't capable, he totally is! It's just that I knew we were out of a lot of our "normal" breakfast stuff. Sure enough, I he called up the stairs, "Is there anything special you want me to give them for breakfast?" I sometimes give them bagels with peanut butter on them, so I told him to do that this morning. As he was getting a bagel out, Izzie shouts out, "Daddy, Put Peanut Butter On It." (For some reason, toddlers sentences all start with capital letters, I'm not sure why, but that is how she talks.)

Breakfast was served, eaten AND cleaned up before I headed downstairs. And then things got interesting. Maddie started crying for what appeared to be no reason at all. We finally got out of her that she wanted a new diaper. When I checked it out, it didn't look like it needed to be changed, but I changed her anyway. About an hour later she starts screaming again. Now, I start to suspect that she may have a bladder infection. Sure enough, during lunch more screams. As we are going to put them down for nap, I got a final scream and I said, I'm taking her into Acute Kids. (An emergency room just for kids!)

I put Izzie down for her nap and told her she would be all by herself because I was going to take Maddie to the doctor. Surprisingly enough she went right down. John said she slept for 2.5 hours! (That's amazing for the naps we've been getting lately.)

I picked up my Mom and we took Maddie to Acute Kids. Since we got lost on the way (I was trying a different location than the one I went to on Jan 1st.) Maddie got a nice little nap in the car. We finally made it there and got right in to see the doctor. Since Maddie isn't potty trained yet, she had to have a catheter. That was NOT fun, for me or her. Especially for her! It didn't go so well, and the nurse actually ended up collecting the urine as she peed on the floor! Poor baby girl! Turns out she does have a bladder infection and she will be on antibiotics for a few days. I'm just glad that we probably caught it early.

The doc wanted to say she might have been crying because sometimes as kids learn that they are starting to pee in their diaper it makes them uncomfortable and that it is time to start potty training. Yeah, no, I don't think a kid who wants a diaper changed because they are wet cries like my poor Maddie did! I'm glad I listened to my Mommy-intuition!

No comments: