Thursday, November 19, 2009

Hokey Pokey

Mom watched the girls again for me this morning so I could get stuff done around the house. Actually I was going to work on the PAMOM newsletter, but I had a splitting headache and couldn't sit in front of my computer. Instead I tackled the laundry room. For one thing, the top of the dryer had become a dumping ground for random weird items. For another I really needed to put up the poisons, medicines and cleaning supplies out of reach of the girls.

Yes, they are almost two and I had not done that yet. They have always been really good about not getting into things they know they shouldn't. But, they are toddlers and I can't trust that, so today I finally got around to putting things out of reach. Both girls have developed a new fascination for "medicine." They've gotten a few scraps that required Neosporin and they also call Desidan medicine. So now any time they get a booboo they want "medicine." That and they LOVE their vitamins. They saw me taking some Tylenol the other day and they wanted their vitamins. All of that started to get me worried that their curiosity might lead them into all the stuff they aren't supposed to get to. So now I'm all safe. Everything is way up high, where I have to get on my tippy toes to reach it. Oh, and the top of the dryer is cleared off for the first time in 2 years.

Speaking of dryers. It got me thinking today about how much my life has changed. Way before I had kids, I painted the laundry room a bright sunny yellow. I even decorated the washing machine with flower decals to cheer up the room. I remember being bummed out that my washer was white and my dryer was cream. I wanted a matching washer and dryer. I kid you not, it really bugged me. These days the color of my washer is the last thing on my mind. I do hope to get back to some of that again. I mean, I do believe that your appearance and the appearance of your house is important. I would like to finish decorating the upstairs (which requires getting rid of a TON of baby clothes...) I have a half painted wall upstairs that is driving me crazy, but I never seem to have the time or inclination to fix it. I know one day I'll get back there, but today, right now, I'm enjoying the moment of toddler chaos.


Maddie helping Nanna move rocks so she could weed her flower bed.


Nanna using manual labor to wear out the girls. Izzie's adding rocks to the pile.


But apparently Maddie didn't really like getting her hands dirty!



It wasn't all hard work. There was plenty of play too. The girls got these horses for their birthday last year from Grandma and Grandpa. I took them over to my mom's house because of her HUGE driveway. Maddie and Izzie love riding their horses around. They are almost getting too big for them!


Maddie, Izzie riding horses.

And as for enjoying the moment of toddlerhood... here's Izzie, Maddie and I doing some stretches to prepare for a round of the Hokey Pokey. First we stretched ALL the way up to the sky...



Then we stretched all the way down to our tippy tippy toes.


Then we did some twisting and back up to the sky.

Only after we had "warmed" up with lots of stretching did we start dancing to the Hokey Pokey, one of the girls new favorite things to do!

No comments: