Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The day before Thanksgiving


Izzie and Maddie playing outside


Maddie and Izzie in a choo-choo bike parade.


Izzie, Maddie and Daddy one year ago.

The smells filling up the house right now are so Thanksgiving! Who knew that the combination of cornbread, chopped onions and celery would immediately make me smell the childhood memories of my Mema getting ready for Thanksgiving? I hadn't even broken out the SAGE yet. I typically use sage once a year, at Thanksgiving and it's scent is intrinsically entwined with the holiday. But for some reason the smell of the cornbread baking in the oven while I chopped onions, celery and of course the hard boiled eggs immediately threw me to days long ago. Needless to say it's been a happy afternoon. I do miss my Mema and wish she could be here cooking with me, but we've got Christmas for that!

I'm also in charge of the Sweet Potatoes this year. Mainly because I grew over 30 lbs of them this year in my front flower bed! My version of the Amercian Sweet Potato Casserole definitely should be classified more in the dessert category instead of the savory side dish category. I've been munching on the chili-candied nut topping all afternoon and I just hope I can manage to leave some alone long enough to actually put nuts on the top of the casserole. I'll post both recipes at The Frickin Chicken as soon as I get a chance!

Other than all the cooking, I took the girls to Storytime today at the library. I've found that they behave better when they aren't supper comfortable! When we go a few weeks in a row they get "relaxed" and start to wander around the room and cause a big distraction. When we skip a few weeks, they stick closer to me. What a conundrum! I want them to enjoy story time but they need to learn to sit (mostly) still and be (mostly) quiet during the stories! Practice makes perfect and we'll keep at it. At least we didn't have to leave early this week.

The weather was nice enough that we got to spend some time outside in the backyard today. The girls still love their cozy coupes and I'm so glad they've gotten so much opportunity to use them before the weather has turned too cold. It's also so fun to see them climb all over the slide I got from Freecycle like it's no big deal. By next summer they will probably be too big for it. But that is why we are saving up for a "big" kid playground and selling off stuff at TwinSale.blogspot.com hopefully in the next few days I'll get a chance to add some more clothing and toys. Lately every second I've had has gone to two logos I'm working on for paid jobs (yay!!) or the PAMOM December/January Newsletter.

Well I've got a simple dinner of chicken, broccoli and baked potatoes going in the oven and I think it's starting to smell done. I left this quote with you last year and I think it is so cute, I'm going to repeat it again:

May your stuffing be tasty,
May your turkey be plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have never a lump.
May your yams be delicious,
And your pies take the prize'
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off of your thighs!


Wishing everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: