Friday, September 25, 2009

Why do fire detectors beep in the night?

Yesterday was a very busy day for me. It didn't start out that wonderfully because we had 2 fire detectors start chirping in the middle of the night and we had no 9 volt batteries in the house. It obviously could have been worse because the annoying chirps didn't bother the girls. So for that I was very thankful. As for me, by 9 am I was twitching every time there was a chirp. By this time I had a tremendous headache and I was a bundle of nerves. I needed to go to the grocery store anyway yesterday morning and now I needed to add batteries to my list. I called my mom in a bit of desperation asking her if she could watch the girls so I could go to Target alone. This gave me the opportunity to sort of "zone" and wake up slowly while getting the groceries and batteries that I needed.

The girls usually do really great in the store, but they are toddlers and you have to keep up a dialogue to keep them entertained when they are confined to the cart. We walk through the store pointing out colors and shapes and even letters that are on products. I wasn't up for conversation yesterday at all. So I dropped the girls off an Nanna's house and went to Target. After shopping I went back home, unloaded and put up all the groceries and installed batteries in the two beeping alarms. Then I went and picked up the girls. By this time I was much more refreshed and I had a pleasant afternoon with them. Here are a few pictures mom took with her camera while they were playing with her and Popo.


Izzie and Maddie cooking and feeding Popo.


Practicing Piano! (Maddie & Izzie)


They love playing on Nannna's piano. (Izzie and Maddie)

1 comment:

Julie said...

Not too long ago, our security system started going off in 30 second bursts every 5 minutes. After 11 PM. Luckily, I was still awake, because if I had been jolted out of sleep by the alarm, well let's just say the bar ain't stocked enough to get me back to calm after that. We called the alarm company and they thought the backup battery was dying, so we disconnected it, crossed our fingers, and went to bed. Thank goodness that solved it and that the kids didn't move. I think we'd have had to pack up and descend on the folks if it hadn't stopped!