Wednesday, September 9, 2009

First trip to the library


Maddie in the puzzle corner


Nanna helping Izzie on the computer.

I am ashamed to say that my girls are almost 21 months old and today was their first trip to the library. As much as they love books (and myself too!) I just haven't made my way over to the library yet. I think the Houston Library system scarred me for life. You had to have like 3 forms of ID, a picture and sign you name in blood to get a card. Today I showed the lady my drivers licenses and I was on my way with a shiny new card! It really goes to show that the fear of the unknown can really stop you in life. It's best to jump in with both feet and go for it. Even if it is just going to the library!

We went for story time this morning. The girls were really intrigued. They liked looking around at all the other kids. It started off with some singing and dancing. Maddie and Izzie mostly just stood there but they were taking it ALL in. Izzie was grinning and Maddie was frowning with concentration. Then the story lady (forgot her name!) introduced the letter of the week (which was P) and brought out a pony and a piggy before she read a story about picnics. My mom was with me and she was on the edge of her seat trying not to read over the lady. My mom can really get into reading childrens' books! After a few stories, one that involved a big bear with a puppet!, there was a craft. The girls got to put stickers all over a page. They really got into that.

After story time, we went to the childrens' area to read get some books to check out. Izzie had a bit of a temper tantrum when we didn't allow her to unshelf all of the library books. They had puzzles and a big bin of board books so we redirected her to that. But then she saw the kiddie computer and spent the rest of the morning trying to figure that out. We've really got to get the girls a computer! We have most of the pieces now we need to get a little desk and set it up.

They had a great time, and I'm going to try and make story time in our weekly rotation of activities. The structure will be really good for them.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Sounds like a successful and fun first trip to the library! Yay!