Monday, September 7, 2009

Cooking up a Storm

This morning while Grandpa and Cody were installing the storm door for us, we were "cooking" in the kitchen. I let Maddie and Izzie pull out all of my pots and pans and go to town with a couple of whisks and large spoons. Then I remembered an idea that my friend Kara did, where she gave her twins cotton balls to play with and an egg carton. I didn't have cotton balls but I did have brightly colored craft poofs available so we used those instead. When I showed the girls how to put them in the whisk, that was just awesome. This kept them happy for a good long while this morning.

I let them play by themselves for a while and then I would come in and play with them for a bit. I try to bolster creative-independent play. I like to show them an idea and then step back and let them explore it and go with it. Sometimes I find that they will do new things that I didn't even think of! Also, when I stick around they sometimes revert back to "baby" and want me to do everything for them. But when I'm not around (just spying from the corner) they can do some amazing things on their own!

Izzie putting the balls in the whisk.


Izzie and Maddie




Izzie would put them in the egg carton and Maddie would take them RIGHT back out. Luckily it didn't upset Izzie she thought it was funny.



Maddie stuffed her whisk to the brim.


See Elmo in that Izzie is holding? At one point he was being stewed in a pot... poor Elmo!


1 comment:

Sheila said...

I never would have thought to give thekids pom poms to play with. Cute idea and so soft and cheap!