Sunday, August 2, 2009

QOTW: Lessons Learned

I've been wanting to participate in the question of the week from Multiples and More's Blog for awhile now, but I forget to make the time sometimes. This week had a fun question so before I write all about my trip to Bryan this past weekend, I thought I'd do a post on this question:
What is the biggest lesson that you have learned in your multiples' first year of life?


I still like to look back at the day that John and I found out we were having twins. Since that day, I've taken thousands of photographs and while that particular day didn't not get captured in a photo, it stands out in my mind, every little detail. On that day, we had no idea what was in store for us. Of course we'd heard all the cliches about having twins, how hard it would be and that we were in for a lot of hard work. And while some of that was true, it is all worth every moment.


Looking back, the biggest lesson I learned was to take help whenever help was offered. And on top of that I lean red that if help wasn't offered then to ask for help. I learned that it takes a "town" or entire family to get twins here much less raise them. It started when I was on bedrest. I physically couldn't do things that needed to get done. I couldn't go to the grocery store (or any store for that matter!), cook dinner, I even needed help getting dressed some days. So before Madeline and Isabelle even arrived I learned very quickly about accepting help. My mom, my in-laws, my husband especially, my friends and even some people I had just met all helped me get through my pregnancy and first couple of months with the girls.

Once they got here... whoa! My world was turned upside down and sideways. Occasionally I'd be sitting on my couch after I managed to get both girls asleep and try hard to remember what it was like before they arrived. As time went on, I forgot my life before kids quickly! Now it's a game that my husband I play. Remember when...? You might remember that your house used to be clean and that you didn't have to trip over baby equipment. You might remember when you could sleep in on Saturday and just hop in the car to go shopping at the drop of a hat. But then you realize those things aren't that important.

I learned very quickly what was important. That was another life lesson. Prioritizing. The first year with a baby goes by so fast, and the first year with multiples really goes by twice as fast! You get so bogged down in the doingness of things that sometimes it is easy to forget to appreciate the itty bitty toes and the teeny tiny diapers. Find the time to write down when that first smile melted your heart and when those little fingers reached out for a toy the first time. Later, when things settle down and your brain is less foggy, you'll want to go back, pull out those memories and cherish them a bit more. The laundry really can wait an extra day, the dust won't be that noticeable and the grass may get a few more weeds that first year, but it'll also be one of the most special years of your life.

1 comment:

Lani said...

Great post! I wholeheartedly agree with all of those lessons:)