Monday, July 6, 2009

New Week, New Possibilities

Ah, Monday morning. A whole new week ahead of me with no plans. I was on the phone with my mom while the girls were eating breakfast. I was telling her what a boring week I had ahead of me since I didn't have any playdates scheduled. She just laughed at me. For real. I asked her what she was laughing at. She said, "I know you, you'll have your calendar filled before the end of the day." Well, I guess she could be right about that. I think that's why some days like yesterday, I literally do nothing. Because most of them time I go ninety to nothin'. (<<- As soon as I typed that, I realized it must be a Texas slang, but for the life of me, I don't know the origins, if anyone knows leave a comment!)

Anyway, like I was saying, yesterday was a full day of nothing-ness. Besides a quick trip to Target for some diapers and milk (life does go on when you have two 1.5 yr olds, whether you want to do nothing or not) I did nothing yesterday. It was awesome, I read half a book and watched a lot of tv. John and I took turns "being on duty."

So, this morning I woke up to a messy kitchen, 3 or 4 loads of laundry and a bunch of weird left overs in the fridgerator. Somehow, I started a load of dishes, a load of laundry and then decided we should go to Walmart since I was out of contacts and have been putting off the trip to get more. While we were there I bought the girls these cute little stuffed puppies that bark when you rub them. They were so excited about them! I also got them two Elmo movies that were in the $5 bin. One was Elmo Goes Potty and the other is Elmo's Favorite Songs. They are watching the song one right now.

I'm really expanding. Up until now they've watched Signing Times Videos and one or two Seasame Streets off the TV. I have unclear views on television watching in young children. Ideally I wanted to wait until age 2 to start watching ANY tv, but that isn't very realistic. We did go for a little over a year, which I think is pretty good. I admire my friend Jessica who is not doing TV with her triplets. Instead of saying NO tv, I am carefully limiting their tv viewing time. they get one 30 minute show a day, and not every day. It's a treat for them and for me. Instead I fill their day with tons of books, puzzles, coloring, painting, playdoh, outside play, pretend and dolls. It's also a major reason for all the playdates and trips I go on. It keeps up busy and engaged. These days TV watching is very controversial and I think every parent makes up their own decisions that work based on their lifestyle.

So, back to my "boring" week. Turns out, it probably won't be so boring afterall. Tonight I'm going to a party with some of John's co-workers, then tomorrow I'm going to a PAMOM board meeting. Later in the week mom wants to go to Babies R Us with us (she needs to buy a baby shower gift for a friend) and I'll probably somehow manage to squeeze in a playdate or two!

(No pictures now, but hopefully I'll put some up later... )

No comments: