Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Grand Adventures at Firewheel Mall


Izzie and Maddie


Peek-a-boo is big the past few days. (Maddie and Izzie)


'GO! GO! GO!, STOP! STOP! STOP!' (Maddie and Izzie)


Izzie

What I am about to tell you, may not seem like a grand adventure to some. Probably to most of you it isn't even that exciting. But here it is anyway: Maddie, Izzie and I went into a store by ourselves without a stroller.

I'll back up a bit. The past few days between tummy viruses and rain, we haven't spent much time outside. I was starting to get cabin fever. I really wanted to get out of the house with the girls and spent a little time outside. Not to mention that John has has a busy couple of days at work and so an hour of quiet time at home I'm sure was appreciated. So, we headed to Firewheel Mall which has a cute little playground that I love. One, it is small. Two, it is completely enclosed with a gate that latches. Three, it has a foamy surface so even though it has been raining, there is no mud. I let the girls run around for a bit and we played some 'GO! GO! GO!, STOP! STOP! STOP!' a new favorite game.

I really wanted to go check out Carter's a kids clothing store. They run some great sales sometimes and the girls are almost bursting out of the 18 month clothes. I debated getting the stroller, but the girls have been really great about listening to me lately and I wanted to go with the trust. I ask them if they are ready to leave the park so we could go see the water. (To get to the store, we had to cross a bridge over a little man made stream.) We left the park, walked across the green space, over the bridge (stopping to admire the water) and across the parking lot and into the store. At first they stood right next to me, holding my hand or my leg. Then they slowly got brave and wandered a bit, but still within 3-4 feet of me. Maddie tried to go across the store once, but came right back when I called her. I let them play with the toy at the check out counter for a few minutes. I actually DID get to look at the clothes and the girls had a blast. They liked touching all the clothes. They didn't try to pull anything off the hangers or cause any destruction of any kind.

As I was leaving I saw a display of Melissa & Doug toys. (I LOVE Melissa & Doug.) I was just talking to my Mom earlier about wanting to get them a new puzzle and there they were 30% off! I bought the girls 2 new puzzles and we headed back out the door. We walked across the parking lot, over the bridge, and to the BIG fountain at the other end of the park. Then to get back to the car I told the girls that they could let go of my hand and RUN across the huge green field. They had a blast with that.

We got to the car and I was so proud of all three of us. Me for raising my girls in a manner where I can trust them without having to rely on strollers all the time. And for not having to resort to using a leash. The world opens up for us a bit by bit the more we take on new challenges. I was proud of Maddie and Izzie for having a great time and for listening to me so that we can do more things like this in the future. Like I said before, it might not be a grand adventure to everyone, but to me and my two 19 month old twins, it was a huge step.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

I'm so proud of you and the girls! Sounds like a great time. I love not having to take a stroller all the time now that my DD is finally walking. If she doesn't want my hand she will hold her brother's and that's a sight that melts my heart!
Sheila

Heather said...

I would call that a grand adventure!! It makes me nervous to take my 3 year old into stores without a stroller! He is good now but those first few times are a little scary and I can't imagine doing it with two!