Saturday, June 27, 2009

Maddie reminds me of...

her Grandpa!

Lately, Maddie has really been into organization, like her Grandpa. Which I love, believe me. He's the only person I know who could tell you exactly where every thing is in his house. For some reason, her version of organization means anything that isn't hers, has to be put up where it goes. Therefore, anytime John or I leave shoes, papers, keys, etc down where she can reach them, she dutifully brings them to us to put up. A few weeks ago, we were able to have her put up our shoes and she thought it was fun. Now, she says, "no" and waits until you get up and put up your own shoes. She will put up her toys when I tell her it's time to clean up. Izzie is into the whole clean up thing too, but not as much as Maddie.

This has also manifested in another way. When Maddie's Grandpa walks through the room and sees a spot on the carpet, without thinking about it, he bends over and picks it up. Maddie does the same thing. She hands it to me and says her newest word, "yucky." If you put it in your pocket, intending to throw away the offensive bit later, she sticks out her pouty lip and says, "yucky" again. So, you must get up and throw it away. (I mean, I DO want to encourage this organization/cleaning habit!) I always tell her "thank you." She is so extremely helpful.

Especially when it comes to unloading the dishwasher or doing the laundry. Izzie is right there with sissy helping all the way, but Maddie is usually the first one to jump in. Yesterday I was trying to unload the dishwasher. I got the top partially unloaded, when Maddie starts handing silverware from the bottom. I quickly grabbed all the knives and put them up. Then one piece at a time she handed me silverware to put up. Then I helped her pull out the bottome drawer to the dishwasher. Izzie had joined us by this time. They handed me dishes, one dish at a time. I cringed when they were handling the glass, but they did great. I said thank you over and over. I couldn't load the dishwasher with dirty dishes because they didn't get that they were dirty. They handed them back to me as soon as I put them in. I had to wait until they were strapped in their highchair for a meal to load up.

Later that day, I needed to fold some laundry. They each handed me one sock at a time. Then they started handing me clothes faster than I could fold them. I quickly ran and got another laundry basket and told them to put the clothes from one basket into the other. Yay! It worked. They were "helping" me sort. Still their favorite pieces were the socks, so they got handed directly to me, instead of going in the other bin.

Hopefully I can maintain this intrest in cleaning and organization. I know it's every parents dream, and for a very select few, it follows into the teen years. Maybe I'll get lucky, I mean, it is in the genes...

No comments: