Thursday, March 5, 2009

Stained "glass" windows


Izzie and Maddie doing the twist. This toy makes music and they love to push the button and dance, dance, dance!


Maddie and Izzie crawling all over Daddy.


Izzie and Maddie working on their stained "glass" art project.


It took a lot of concentration!


Here is Maddie's finished piece.

Today has been one of those days where I have no idea what day it is. Throughout the day, I have to pause and think what day of the week it is. A lot of the times it doesn't matter what day it is, unless I have a playdate or something scheduled. This week, I know we are spending Friday morning with the girls' Grandma. So this morning I woke up thinking it was Friday. Of course it wasn't so my mad dash out of bed to get the morning rolling wasn't necessary, but it was productive. We ended up going to Target this morning. I do most of my grocery shopping there. By the end of the trip poor Izzie was literally buried in groceries. I wish I had taken a picture! I need to start carrying my camera with me at all times again.

After Target, I wanted to dart into Michaels Arts and Crafts store for a minute or two. I had to be quick because I had cold stuff in the car from the grocery shopping, but I didn't think to go to the craft store BEFORE buying milk. A few days ago, I was researching arts & crafts for the 14th month old. I came up with two crafts I really wanted to try. So, today I bought some tissue paper and laminate paper. I wanted clear contact paper but Michaels doesn't sell that. So, today the girls and I made Stained Glass Windows. The steps are pretty easy and they had fun doing the project. First, I tore up a bunch of tissue paper. Then once the girls were sitting in their booster seats at the kitchen table, I tried to get them to tear some paper up too. They preferred just crunching it. So, I helped them tear it into some smaller pieces. Then, I laid a piece of laminate paper sticky side up on the table. I took some masking tape and taped the paper down to the table so it would stay in place for the girls. I helped them put pieces of paper on the sticky surface. They got the idea pretty quickly. They loved the stickiness. They would put a piece on and then tear it back off again. They were really getting into the tactile feeling of it all. And the sounds, the paper was very crunchy sounding after all. After the surface area was completely covered, I sent the girls off to go play and I took another sheet of the laminate and sealed in the art. Now, I just need to get a frame, and we have a stained glass window. I'll have to finish Izzie's tomorrow since I accidentally bought a package that only had 3 sheets of laminate in it.

1 comment:

The Artful Parent said...

Your twins look like they had a great time with the project! I'm glad you tried it with them. -Jean