Friday, August 22, 2008

Symbiotic relationship

I've decided that breastfeeding is a symbiotic relationship. I need the girls as much as they need me. Last night around 12:30 am I woke up with a clogged duct. I didn't even know you could get them past the first month or so of breastfeeding. It hurt so bad! I was laying in bed trying to decide if I should get my pump out. The best way to get rid of a clogged duce is to nurse, the second best thing is to pump. Some of the pieces to my pump were downstairs. So, I was debating how much pain I was in. Somehow, I fell asleep trying to decide.

The next thing I know it was 2am and I heard a baby fussing over the monitor. I drag myself out of bed, now my clogged duct is hurting even worse, my breast feels beaten and bruised. Izzie was wide awake and wanting to nurse. She hasn't woken in the middle of the night to nurse in months. The timing was impeccable. I was all for it. Thankfully she cleared the clog. You have to be careful, because it's a lot like when you buy an oreo shake from Dairy Queen. You are drinking through the straw and an oreo gets stuck in the straw. So you are sucking really hard and then all of a sudden it clears and the oreo goes down your throat and you start to choke. Yep, it must be like that. Poor Izzie, trying to guzzle the milk down. But, she didn't mind too much. She ate, I layed her back in the bed and she fell asleep. Symbiotic relationship, I needed her, she needed me.

No comments: