Saturday, August 2, 2008

Superstitions

I didn't know I was a superstitious person until I had the twins. I can't count how many times a day we say "knock on wood." I didn't even know what that meant, I've just said it so many times. I looked it up on Wikipedia and came up with this description:
  • Knocking on wood, and the spoken expression "knock on wood" or "touch wood" are used to express a desire to avoid "tempting fate" after making some boast or speaking of one's own death.

    The expression is usually used in the hope that a good thing will continue to occur after it has been acknowledged. So, for example, one might say: "The rain looks like it's holding off, touch wood", or "Knock on wood, I'm much better now."

That sounds about right. If we put the girls down for a nap, as soon as one of says, "Good, I think they are down." We immediately follow it by, "Knock on wood!!" This started because when they were first born it seemed like they were always doing exactly the opposite of whatever we said. So, we became superstitious. Some other phrases that warrant a good knock are:
  • "The girls sure are being good today."
  • "We haven't had a diaper explosion today!"
  • "They sure are sleeping great."
  • "They absolutely LOVE ______ (fill in blank)."
You get the idea. If only knocking on wood would keep the status quo!

No comments: