Sunday, August 17, 2008

Crunchy Earth Mama

I learned a new term recently. It's crunchy. As an adjective. It sort of is the hippies of today. If you are a crunchy-earth-mama you are considered today's hippie. You want to raise your children as close to nature as possible. You believe in breastfeeding, cloth diapers, co-sleeping, making your own baby food, all organic (cleaning supplies, food, linens, etc.) You wear your baby in a cloth sling and you practice attachment parenting (don't believe in letting your baby "cry-it-out.") Another way to put it is "What's your Granola Factor?" As in, hippies used to sit around and eat granola so, how hippie (or crunchy) are you?

My granola factor is lower than some of the moms I know. I breastfeed, make my own baby food and don't believe in cry-it-out at all. I also carried my babies in a sling when they were small. Oh, and I believe in the no-tv before 2 years old rule. I like being part of the crunchy-earth-mama movement. My granola factor may be lower than some, but I'm still sorta crunchy and I like it that way.

No comments: