Saturday, May 24, 2008

Party at my crib 4:30am!

I know I talk about sleep a lot. Nap times, bed times, no sleep, extra sleep. I've learned sleep is a very important aspect of the first year of life. Mostly, I'd say my girls are excellent sleepers. Especially Izzie. That girl likes her sleep! She plays hard, cries hard and sleeps hard. Maddie on the otherhand, is more laid back, but she's a watcher. She loves observing her world and she doesn't want to miss even a second of it. She is a bit harder to get to go to sleep. Lately she is the first to wake up too. Maddie is also the one I find asleep on her play mat, like she was playing and she just couldn't fight it off any longer.

The last few nights Maddie has woken up early. I remember fondly about a week towards the end of April that when I put the girls down at 8pm they slept to 8am. It was so nice. When we moved them to the nursery it was 8pm to 6am. Which is not bad by any means, but still early for me. Last night Maddie woke up at 4:30. It was miserable. She wasn't hungry, she wanted to PLAY!!! Finally, after trying to get her to go back to sleep, at 5am I fed her and put her back to bed. Then of course Izzie woke up at 6:15 wanting to eat. So I fed her and I put her back to bed. Maddie was sleeping soundly, and I needed more sleep! So I did get to go back to sleep and woke up at 8:30.

I don't like feeding them separately. For one thing, it means I have to do it twice. And the other is from an efficiency stand point. Two breasts, two babies... things just work out smoothly. When I only feed one I have to decide, do I switch her around or just keep her on one side. Usually if I know I'm feeding one after the other (we are out in public and I can't tandem, for example) I just keep one baby on one side for the feeding. Last night I didn't know when Izzie would wake up. So, I had to switch Maddie around. And then the same for Izzie when she eventually woke up. On the otherhand, I do like feeding them separately. I get to spend quiet time with each girl individually. Afterwards I always snuggle them extra tight.

So, who knows, maybe sleep will never ever be the same. Maybe after the first year or so people just adjust and don't talk about it as much. For me, right now, sleep (or lack thereof) is always at the top of my mind.

No comments: