Saturday, February 9, 2008

Woman vs. Suburbia

Have you ever seen the show Man vs. Wild on the discovery channel? Well today, I was Woman vs. Suburbia. I decided to take the girls out on a walk. The weather is absolutely gorgeous today. It's bright and sunny and crisp. I'm even wearing a short sleeve shirt. Anyway, we get all set up and start on our walk. Then as a spur of the moment thing I decide to check out the new neighborhood. While I was on bedrest the neighborhood expanded. There is a whole new section across the way. So we start walking. And walking. And walking some more. By this time, I'm forced to admit I'm lost in my own subdivision. The streets are all twisty turny, the houses all look the same and I have no orientation as to which way is home. I saw the mail lady down a ways and *almost* asked for directions to get home! But I couldn't bring myself to do that just yet. I did have my cell phone. I figured I could call for help if things got desperate enough. Then when the bumble bee starting following us, I was just about to call it quits. But you can't quit a walk when you don't even know where you are.

Then a wonderful sight. I saw the gazebo of the pool in the distance. Finally! A landmark. Something that didn't look like one cookie cutter house after the other. Keeping that gazebo in my sights I start walking towards it. I end up on a dead end. Exasperated and not willing to lose sight of my beloved landmark, I take another street, slowly and steadily heading towards the gazebo like it's an oasis. Finally I reach my destination. Now, I'm still far away from home, but at least I know where I am! I head on home and with relief look down at my watch. What?? The whole thing was only thirty minutes?? I could have sworn I was out there in the depths of suburbia for at least an hour. Oh well. I got some exercise and the girls got some good fresh air. They didn't know we were lost.

1 comment:

Nicole Tucker said...

HAHAHAHAHA!
You SHOULD write for our newsletter! That was a great story!